Monday, November 30, 2009

"Special" Mobile Phones

Normally, mobile phones in Japan can be switched into English mode, so the menus and messages are in English. Unfortunately, the phones Proto Labs provided for Vicky and me are not capable of this. Helpful Japanese people keep telling us that surely they can be changed to English, and collectively, they have spent hours trying to switch them for us.

Today, the director of Dante's school made yet another attempt to switch Vicky's phone to English. She finally called tech support at NTT Docomo to find out what gives. NTT's tech support told her that our phones are special - they were designed for the elderly and the retarded! I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with English menus, but it gave Midori a good laugh when she told Vicky.

I think tomorrow I'll go see what a low-end mobile phone (with English) costs at the Kojima electronics store in Ebina.

2 comments:

  1. . . . or you could learn to read Japanese. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can add a couple more hours, from when the same thing happened routinely when we were using those very phones. People would average about a half hour each looking through those menus. No one would believe me when I said that other people had tried.

    Someone showed me how to lock the keys so Mirah could play with it without worry of calling someone. It's so simple. Just navigate the menus by pressing #, 9, 2, make up a passcode like 0000, and then hit the Ok button. Just remember your passcode for when you need to unlock it. (I have this memorized, because I did it that much.)

    ReplyDelete