Saturday, October 31, 2009

Food Day At Work

At home people bring in donuts. Monday Kanno-san brought eggs and Ono-san brought persimmons. The eggs were boiled in an Onsen or natural hot spring. They're popular for bathing, but apparently you can cook in them, too. They are white inside and taste like regular hard-boiled eggs, but I guess the minerals in the onsen turn the shell black.

I remember Mari-chan saying how she missed the persimmons in Japan and couldn't find them in the US. The only persimmon I ever tried in the US was unpleasantly astringent. The first one of these I cut open was juicy and super sweet - it was awesome. The second one wasn't quite as good. I ate them for breakfast during the week and I bought a couple more at the grocery store today - I think I'll try them in my oatmeal.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: